Question:
which play is better phantom or wicked?
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
which play is better phantom or wicked?
Eleven answers:
2008-09-18 13:31:52 UTC
PHANTOM OF THE OPERA ALL THE WAY!!! wicked is okay but POTO just gives you chills and its so powerful. when i saw it with my friends (they hadn't seen it, that was my 4rth time but i couldnt really remember it) when the overture started and the chandelier rose i just couldn't stop smiling, i'm a dork, i know, but it is my dream to play christine. they whole production is amazing, i saw it with john cudia (he was filling in this summer from may-july) and he was the most amazing singer i have ever heard (male and female), i think howard mcgillin is the phantom now, he's brilliant as well, not as good as john, but still great. I really hope you go an see it- the music, the set, the characters- ALL INTOXICATING! and whoever said that POTO was not funny, they do have some funny parts in it like the phantom in some tricks he plays and carlotta is funny too. I HOPE YOU GO TO SEE IT!!!
2008-09-16 03:47:28 UTC
Both shows are brilliant in their own right, but for completely different reasons. Wicked is more of a light hearted, family, feel good spectacle of a show. Phantom is an emotional, beautiful and fantastic show with gorgeous music, sets and plot. If you liked the film, trust me, the show is a million times better. I've seen both and I would recommend them both highly, but I think I'd probably choose Phantom over Wicked purely because I think it's something you have to see at least once and I think it will stay with you for a long long time. But at the end of the day it's your decision, and this is just my opinion. Go with whichever you feel.
2008-09-15 18:49:41 UTC
Wicked is the story of what happened in Oz long before Dorothy came flying in. How did the scarecrow become a scarecrow? Why is Glinda the Good so perennially perky? And what in the name of goodness makes those monkeys fly? Wicked answers these questions and more, and does it with such flair and panache that the entire audience delivered a standing ovation at the end of the performance. In addition to the phenomenal vocal performances, the sets are elaborate, the special effects are cleverly done, and the story itself is captivating. Secrets abound in Oz, and when all is revealed at the very end, I found myself wishing the show would go on longer. One of the best parts of the production? It's hilariously funny. It's partly due to the great linesit was a bewitchingly well-spent three hours of my afternoon!

"The Phantom of the Opera" follows the hoary Leroux tale of an insane, disfigured musician who haunts the backstage, flies and sub-stage areas of the Paris Opera. He lusts after and clandestinely guides the career of Christine Daae, a rising young soprano who ultimately betrays and destroys him. Attempting in some measure to musically recreate the experience of seeing Lon Chaney's celebrated portrayal of the Phantom in its original venue, Webber's score leans heavily on the sounds of the magnificent Wurlitzer theater organs installed in the great 1920s movie palaces. There, during each performance, celebrated organists would sit at the massive consoles and use the printed music sent along with the print to accompany the flickering black and white images on the screen. In addition, Webber's composition is homage to the works of opera composer Giacomo Puccini, and though his tribute occasionally borders on transparent imitation, it is a rich score of soaring operatic melodies liberally seasoned with rock-n-roll riffs, beats, and harmonies. The play opens to the sounds of dark, indistinct organ chords and a sinister ostinato of glowering pedaled bass notes underscoring the on stage efforts of a lone auctioneer seeking bids for the dusty artifacts of an abandoned European opera house. Soon the man gets to the final item, "Lot 666 then, ladies and gentlemen: a chandelier, in pieces," which as he says figured so prominently in the strange affair of the Phantom of the Opera. As he orders the newly re-wired thing lit up, it suddenly and frighteningly rises from the stage, flying up to the center of the real theatre to hang precariously above the audience for the duration of the play. As it rises, the synthesized Wurlitzer roars into life, augmented by a nearly full-on symphony orchestra, and the entire theatre creaks into motion, magically transporting itself back to its glory days when the Phantom roamed its aisles and boxes. It is easily the most spectacular opening scene in theater history.
colormelove?
2008-09-15 18:41:34 UTC
wicked definately-- its a fabulous mix of hilarious songs-- beautiful songs and they just give you chills. kristen chenoweth was my favorite galinda. my favorite song is popular

dont get me wrong-- phantom was amazing but this is just my preferance
2008-09-15 18:37:59 UTC
I've seen both, and they're fabulous. However, I would see Phantom. It's honestly a brilliant production, and it's very different from the movie. No matter what you choose, have fun!
So Get This
2008-09-15 18:35:02 UTC
Both POTO and Wicked are great shows.

I've seen Wicked twice and I love it.
silentxdreams
2008-09-15 18:28:53 UTC
I personally love WIcked. Phantom is really beautiful, but I think Wicked is just better on stage. Enjoy whatever show you go to!
?
2016-09-19 21:04:11 UTC
Thank you for the answers EVERYONE <3
?
2016-08-29 13:22:37 UTC
can anyone tell me what is the right answer for this question?
toasterphantom
2008-09-17 15:41:14 UTC
I suggest Phantom of the Opera for three reasons.

First, it's Broadway's Longest Running musical, which points to it's excellent music and wonderful (different from the movie) plot line which draws in crowds time and time again. Second, While you cannot get discount tickets for Wicked, you can get discount tickets for phantom which should save you a pretty... (alright so a penny's not worth that much-) 40% on tickets. Third, on a more personal note, I find Phantom of the Opera to be an amazing show, and, having seen it four times, I always want to go again.

Don't get me wrong, I love Wicked as well. It's a nice show, but if it came down to the two, I think Phantom would be the best option for now.

Also, it is a lie that there are no comic moments in phantom! There are points of laughter scattered through the show, and the audience almost dies (of laughter) during the first (and somewhat in the second) Notes scene. Il Muto as well. Of course there is serious content, but also humorous.

For the ticket price argument, I recommend getting your seats ahead of time. (You'll get to reserve your seat.) If you want to do it online or by phone, I recommend using the site I use every time for phantom tickets. Wicked does not offer discounts on any site (or even the half price ticket booth) because of it being so new. http://schooltix.com/phantom_03
2008-09-15 18:45:34 UTC
see wicked if u want a hearwarming, tear jerking comedy. the music is brilliant and the plot is my favorite

if you want a classic and like the hollow tones of Phantom, see that. Be warned, phantom is NOT a comedy so no laughs will come your way