Question:
Do comedians really need profanity to be funny?
John L
2006-10-19 22:29:57 UTC
Funny men and story tellers such as Bill Cosby and Garrison Keillor seem to be the exception to the rule, but almost every comedian I've seen recently on channels like HBO and Comedy Central seem to have jokes just peppered with more four-letter words than I can count. Other than shock value, is there a reason that that comics would want barrage their fans with this brand of humor when the jokes would be just as funny without the "extra" words? I'm not out to censor what people want to hear, but can anyone name a successful comic that has a "clean" act?
259 answers:
42ITUS™
2006-10-21 04:13:14 UTC
It depends on who you identify with. I, personally, identify with George Carlin better than Garrison Keillor, although they're both funny to me. But, if your everyday speech tends to include four letter words, you'll tend to listen to the comedian who uses them in their act.
Sue F
2006-10-22 11:06:36 UTC
Real comedians do not need to use profanity to be funny. Some people are just so used to speaking with profanity, they cannot put a sentence or idea together without it.

I can remember watching Laugh-in and Bob Hope and Lucille Ball and many other comedies and comedians when I was growing up, and no one used profanity.

There seems to be a general desensitization to profanity, and I am sure it goes hand in hand with all the other things that have become almost common-place and accepted such as murder and accidents and tradgedy. Some of this has been caused, in part; by all of these electronic advances which have made the world a much smaller place; and even though these advances are wonderful, they also allow us access to many bad things which we have not had access to previously.

I have been to see the Blue Collar Comedy tour several times, and considering the participants are all so-called "Rednecks," they did not use profanity when I saw them. They would "allude" to various things, and just left it up to the imagination of the audience.

A lot of the world has taken up the view that anything goes, and that is where some of the less-talented comics have chosen to go. That is the mark of any great speaker, to be able to get their point across in a precise, concise and non-vulger manner.

Thank goodness there are a few decent comics still out there. When I think of how many decades I have watched Jerry Lewis, I don't ever remember him reverting to profanity and he is still a riot and I could watch him for hours. Jay Leno and David Letterman as well as Craig Fergeson keep it on the clean side, and may allude a bit, but do not consistantly keep the language in the gutter.
alstott
2016-12-15 20:05:09 UTC
Funny Profanity
teacherpatti1
2006-10-21 21:55:02 UTC
No they don't. I think comedy acts are a reflection of our society. Just listen to the language used by people on the street or at any local mall. A good comedian can be funny without being profane, but Bill Cosby is no longer an accurate reflection of who Americans are today.

P.S. If comedians did not make thousands or millions of dollars for their brand of humor, they would change quickly. However people must refuse to pay money to see and hear a barrage of profanity.
briankamak
2006-10-21 11:58:40 UTC
Comedy much like beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I can put the three stooges on and piss myself, while my wife thinks I'm retarded for watching them. There are a handful of talented comedians that do not use profanity and seemed to have stood the test of time such as Bill Cosby, Adam Sandler, Jerry Seinfeld and Jeff Foxworthy. Although many people find the more "profane" comedians very entertaining it seems that their shelf life is limited or they grow tired of that song and dance, for example Bernie Mac, Eddie Murphy and Chris Rock have all gone family and cleaned up there act, while people like Andrew Dice Clay, Red Foxx and Richard Prior all had their run, sure they still might be funny looking back on them, but in their respective eras the rode there fame for a limited time.
D'archangel
2006-10-22 15:26:33 UTC
Not the good ones. Profanity is all about eliciting an emotional response, and as such it is a means of exercising power over other people. Anyone who uses that power carelessly -- or who overrelies on such a blunt instrument -- is clearly unskilled in the art of social intercourse.

However, there is a place for profanity in humor. Lenny Bruce is the definitive example. He used profanity as a means of shocking people out of their complacency so that he could make his real point (Lenny's social commentary was often more shocking than the profanity). Lenny was able to drive his points home through the lowering of his audience's defenses that followed their embarrassed laughter at a "dirty" word. Other comics -- notably George Carlin, Richard Pryor and Frank Zappa -- have used this approach to similar good effect.
A Designer
2006-10-21 14:17:53 UTC
I don't think so. I believe another user put it best (the one taking Comedy writing classes): some just have potty mouths, but are flat out talented. Others use "junk" language to eek out a laugh as a seeming desperate last measure.

I went to a lot of stand up while I was in Los Angeles... and was always put off by those comedians who couldn't keep themselves from cussing every other word or sentence. The stream of thought gets so muddled with all the irrelevent interjections, I completely lose their line of reasoning/joking.

So, personally, I just don't watch standup all that much anymore. Between the out of control profanity and the flat out raunchiness, I'm just not interested.

Love Conan O'Brien, and a majority of the comedy he has written over the years. I also enjoy Tina Fey. I've ALWAYS admired Bill Cosby. Some others worthy of mention, who seemed to keep their acts tolerably intelligent and "clean"? Billy Crystal, Michael J. Fox, John Lithgow, John Cleese (and the rest of the Monty Python crew), Christopher Guest (and the rest of the "Best In Show"/"Mighty Wind" crew). I USED to really like Robin Williams, but he's gotten kind of weird lately.... Steve Martin is okay, but he can be mean sometimes (kinda like Jerry Lewis in his older years). I also have always loved Whoopi.

And, as many have mentioned, all the old school comedians who paved the way for our modern day stars: Lucille Ball, Laurel & Hardy, Abbott & Costello, Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin.
SapphireB
2006-10-21 07:22:46 UTC
I have to agree with you. I see no since in the use of ANY profanity whether it be for comedy or any thing else.You don't have to use profanity to be funny. To me that is such a BIG turn off. Just because some folks out there think it is CUTE to say any of the profanity words, I for one don't. There have been some movies made that would have been good had the profanity not been thrown in it. There are plenty of other words that could have been used in place of the profanity words. This is not limited to just the comedy to me, this goes for the movies and even out in the public. I have gone places to eat or just shopping and hear people using the BAD profanity. I know it is a free world out there so to speak, but some of us don't like hearing that kind of stuff. It is NOT cute to say the least. I am an adult and never have like hearing the profanity that comes out of peoples mouth. It's not just the men that talk that way either. People every where need to learn to clean up their act. It is funnier with out the profanity!!
Pirate Hooker
2006-10-23 09:53:41 UTC
Sometimes. Comedians usually focus on their target audience. Is the audience young, sophisticated, are they children, etc? Some people find profanity funny, some don't. Can a comedian still be funny without it? Sure. Can a comedian still be funny even though they are cursing? That depends on YOUR idea of funny.
red heads ha!
2006-10-22 10:43:34 UTC
In Los Angeles there is a workshop/school called the Clean Comedy Co. I took classes and did workshops w Patty's comedy group ... and we were on the floor laughing at each other w/ not a H--- or D--- certainly never a F---! We were a group aged from 15... I think, to 80! and we all worked separately and together on stage NO NO and NO they don't need to use profanity... some how they think they need to as they may think it is HIP ... COOL or necessary! BUT if we, the public say stop!( by our lack of attendance ) they will stop. It is our going and supporting this that keeps it alive!... so I have been there and done that we actually performed in real comedy clubs ...people laughed and had a gr8 time and their kids could be present! Look up and support The Cleen Comedy Co. in LA...take one of the workshops...you'll love it ! SUN
2006-10-22 02:00:14 UTC
HBO is definitely not the place for seeing "clean" stand up comedy... one of the reasons the comedians who perform for HBO use profanity they way they do is because they know it's only going to be on HBO...so they're free to say whatever they want...

You mentioned Bill Cosby and Garrison Keillor...two excellent examples...

Jerry Seinfeld came to mind as well...it's obvious from his show and from the 'stand up' clips that he would show in the opening credits that he does not need profanity to be funny... I was surprised that someone mentioned that he used the "G/d" phrase when performing live, he really doesn't need to do that. The man once did an entire show about which of the four could remain 'master of their domain' the longest, and never referred to the "m"word... think "Two and a Half Men" could ever do that ?LOL

Jeff Foxworthy is also great, without using profanity... And the old time comics were able to do the same.

Jay Leno had an extremely clean stand-up act...he could be hilarious for two hours, and never uttered a nasty word... I saw him back around 1989, and his act was close to two hours... the girl I was with said that she had seen him about two years before that, at her college, and that his act the night we saw him was just about word for word the same thing she saw two years earlier... at the time I saw him, Leno was the "Monday night host" of the Tonight Show, subbing for Carson once a week.

Richard Pryor and Eddie Murphy have shown in their movies that they could be hysterical without profanity, but I would never set foot in a club if they were performing their stand up live...

The poster who mentioned laziness hit it right on the head... it's just too easy to draw laughs (especially with today's dumbed-down audiences) than it would be to work on saying the same thing in a different way...it's a shame too, because there are a lot of young stand-up comedians who would be great even without the bad laguage. I've seen some brilliant comics on TV go great routines, only to ruin them with the usual 4 letter words... I really don't understand why they feel the need to do this, other than they think it's 'groovy' LOL.
centreofclassicrock
2006-10-23 14:02:25 UTC
No. But some times profanity can make it funny with those extra adjectives. Check out Robin Williams:Live On Broadway, he swears alot in that but think about with all those words out and it's not as funny. He knows when to use them. Robin Williams is a genius. He can improv, act, do stand up, role playing. He can do it all! There are alot of amazing comedians that rarely if don't swear at all though that you didn't mention (Jerry Seinfeld, Bob Hope, Red Skelton, Wayne Brady, Colin Mochrie, Ryan Stiles, Derek Edwards, Eddie Izzard, Dane Cook, Woody Allen, Steven Wright even sometimes Robin Williams(kids comedy like Aladin for example). Most of the popular comedians and ones that rank in the best of all time do swear alot (Dave Chapelle, Richard Pryor, Lenny Bruce, Andy Kaufman, Russell Peters.) It's alittle bit of shock but also most of the stuff they use need the extra "adjectives" to give height to their act and also it helps their expression and expression in an act is key and makes it hilarious. Some comedians don't need four letter words and some do to help their act.
mynickname
2006-10-22 20:17:19 UTC
I have seen a number of comedians on the Christian stations...there is a show...that is a regular part of their programming that is all clean comedy acts. I am old enough that I remember Red Skelton, Jack Benny and George Burns...so I remember when all the comedy was mostly clean and profanity was the exception rather than the rule...also women comedians like Lucille Ball...they never had to be profane to be funny...Those were the days!
sweettoni37
2006-10-22 14:25:46 UTC
Good Question, I don't think profanity is needed in any act to be funny, I find it very offensive especially when children are in the room. Katt Williams was FUNNY but I think he's the worst his last act was so not good only because of the profanity. As for a comedian that is funny and had no profanity that would be Ron White (Larry the Cable Guy) Blue Collar Comedy Tour, Maybe David Alan Grier. lol
2006-10-21 14:24:13 UTC
I totally know where you're coming from. I'm a firm believer that a naturally 'funny' person can find the humor in anything and doesn't need profanity to be funny. It's okay to use profanity, but as long as you can come up with other things just as much, then it's okay.

Seinfeld is my absolute favorite. Clean stuff, very funny. He's so talented. The new comedians try to outdo eachother's "shock factor," as you said.

What happens when they need to be funny in a situation where no profanity is allowed? They'd all be out of jobs.
2006-10-20 15:14:45 UTC
There used to be lots of comedians who were funny without being profane, Cosby, Keillor, Alan King, Sam Levinson, London Lee, Jan Murray, Totie Fields, Gracie Allen. Lucille Ball, Myren Cohen, Alan Sherman , Bob Newhart, Carol Burnette, Tim Conway, Harvey Korman, Gary Moore,Tom Lehrer. However Lenny Bruce was the first to be profane along with Richard Pryer and to some extent George Carlin and then it all went downhill from there. Saw Cosby in Conert when he was doing his Fatherhood stuff almost twenty years ago in Toronto and cracked up. It'd be nice to find some ' family' comedians again.
midjrsy
2006-10-22 16:46:30 UTC
WOW! You've gotten a LOT of answers here! It's going to take you a while to find the best one.

No, I don't think comedians need to use profanity to be funny. Comedians of the past (I'm sure Bob Hope has been mentioned here) did not use profanity. I think some comedians use profanity to make a point. Others just use it for the sake of using it. As an adult, profanity bothers me if it's used excessively and especially if it's used toward a group of people (women, homosexuals, etc.)
2006-10-22 15:31:36 UTC
No they don't need profanity. For example, you named Bill Cosby, one of the funniest men on earth and he never uses profanity. There are so many educated funny people that use their vocabularies, as Garrison Keillor or Dave Barry. Some words are just funny. People know this. I don't find profanity particularly funny, but I do occasionally when it is totally unexpected.
Belle
2006-10-21 23:29:40 UTC
I agree that it should NOT be used. George Burns, Gracie Allen, Bob Newhart, etc are all examples of great clean comedy. I can darn near pee my pants watching The 3 Stooges, I Love Lucy, The Honeymooners, Jack Benny & other shows like that. I won't watch most comedy acts these days. Bill Engval is hysterically funny & clean as a whistle. I love his "Here's Your Sign" jokes. Bill Cosby used profanity & then quit when he actually had audience attendance fall due to his occasional swear word or two. Eddie Murphy cleaned up for awhile then reverted back. Andrew Dice Clay is beyond sick to hear & same goes for Ron White, Howard Stern & their ilk. I grew up going to the Improv & loved hearing clean comedy. If I heard an occasional cuss word, I never went to see that comedian again. Ellen Degeneres is also another hysterically funny comedian. I heard Jerry Seinfeld a few times & was amazed at his cleanliness of comedy.

FYI: Ricky & Lucy didn't sleep in the same bed back on their show simply because it wasn't allowed to be shown on television that a man & a woman shared the same bed. If you watch the show, early episodes show that their beds were seperated by a nightstand. Then they were allowed to be pushed together side by side. Phillip Morris, Marlboro cigarette maker, actually sponsored their shows for awhile. There used to be an episode where Ricky asked the smokers if they wanted a "Phillip Morris?" The more times he said their name, the bigger their sponsor check. That episode hasn't been aired in years due to the ramifications of cigarette hazards to our health.
swarr2001
2006-10-21 19:33:29 UTC
2006-10-21 06:29:03 UTC
Nowadays, it seems like they do; I heard the "clean" version of a modern so-called comedian, and there were so many bleeps that it sounded more like Morse code.

With the exception of Bill Cosby and maybe a handful of others, all the truly great comedians are dead.

Here's a list of some comedians who are (or rather were, since they're deceased) unbelievably funny, and very rarely--if ever--used profanity:

Charlie Chaplin (silent film star)

Buster Keaton (silent film star)

The Three Stooges

The Marx brothers (Groucho, Chico, and Harpo)

Stan Laurel & Oliver Hardy

George Burns & Gracie Allen

Red Skelton

Bob Hope (especially when paired with Bing Crosby in their "Road to" movies)

Don Knotts

Jack Lemmon

Walter Matthau
Marsha S
2006-10-20 21:46:07 UTC
I don't think being profane is needed I love Garrison Keillor. Ithink he is one of the best. I work at a nursing home so maybe I am influenced by the residents but I think some of the old time commedians are so much beter the the ones who use profanity and sexual things. Think Jack Benny Red Skelrton, The Marx Brothers. George Burns and Fred Allen Dirty words and sexual stuff are just not funny to me
2006-10-23 05:49:19 UTC
First, some cultural differences, the English humor is based on the class system. there, the punchline will show the difference between the classes with one or the other class having the upper hand. The German humor will make a play on one idea contrasting with another. (Dr. Z 's answer of which set of SUV's are cleaner). The American base on humor is usually 'the loser'. The use of four-letter words in jokes typically involve a punchline where the listener is the loser. Also , I suppose, there is some desire to make the conversation 'real'. But for comedians who do not use the four-letter words, I would refer to the ones who write for sitcoms. Those comedians have to come up with a funny idea(s) week after week. For them, there would have to be some other premise for the punchline, like bait and switch. All the jokes I tell have no four-letter words, even if the subject matter might include sex. My Irish heritage usually leads me to use the bait and switch.
Cody B
2006-10-23 11:05:13 UTC
Profanity is funny to people, especially teenagers, i've seen them watch funny movies and they dont even twitch until someone swears and then its a riot. Profanity has gotten so bad its no longer part of the english language, you could have a brain injury and not be able to speak, but you could swear just fine, its from a different part of the brain now. Swearing is a bad problem really, its addictive and damaging, and as time goes on people get used too it and its not bad anymore, then it gets worse and people get shocked but then they get used too it, and then it gets worse, ect ect. Most people arnt bright enough to get good humor, all they know is a popular name and shoot it with swearing and its funny.
butterflykisses427
2006-10-22 09:24:50 UTC
No I don't think you need profanity to have a funny act. Many comics out there use a mainly clean act and maybe throw a couple swear words in there here or there, not like Dennis Leary or George Carlin (whom I do find incredibly funny) who say it every other word.

Some add the occasionally swear word for the shock effect.
old lady
2006-10-21 14:11:23 UTC
Some comedians seem to think they are being up to date and hip by using four letter words. But in fact, they are boring. Their humor is neither truly comedic nor funny. The few who do rely on humor (and don't use the four letter words) are so refreshing by comparison and so genuinely funny that it's a real treat to hear them.

Just as a general comment, I'm very tired of the 'f' word and it has long since ceased to shock. It is distressing, though, to hear it used so frequently by teens and pre-teens, and I seriously wonder if they know any descriptive words at all. The paucity of their vocabulary is truly shocking!
Isa
2016-02-25 06:11:00 UTC
The_answer_person
2006-10-22 21:33:33 UTC
I know what you mean and it is tiresome to hear all the foul language out there for comedy and for movies as well. Seems that they want to cater to the less intelligent people at times. I guess if they waste their three minute skit with profanity then they do not have to find more funny things to say. They can fill up the times with the bad language. I for one am really sick of it too and due to that never watch T.V. any more. I sure wish we had some good programming with some more nice shows on that are not either a reality show or a talk show (talk trash show is more like it) .

I find that renting older movies at times is all there is to find out there. There are a few comedians like Jeff Foxworthy, Jay Leno, Steinfield and David Letterman that are good though.
ltygress
2006-10-21 15:00:10 UTC
I only know of one, but I can't remember his name. He was on a cruise ship that I went on back in the year 2000.

However, I've always wondered to myself about the origin of profanity itself. When did someone actually sit down and say "this word should not be said again". WHY is the word profane?

Many of these words started out as legitimate words, as well. I can't actually mention them because of the profanity filters here on Yahoo, but the common A-word was the name of a horse-like species before it became forbidden. The B-word is actually used in LEGAL documents for the AKC, in describing female dogs. The H-word is used within the Christian religion as a place people don't want to go to. But none of these words are actually "legal" on prime-time television, anymore.

We can't say we were told by a prophet within our own religion not to say these words, because for most religions, the english language didn't even exist when these "prophets" were supposed to have been here.

So who said that "this specific combination of letters shall be forbidden"?

Now that it IS forbidden, I think it goes hand-in-hand with things such as smoking, drinking, and sex. We prevent our youth from experimenting with these things, and we end up with our youth sneaking away, and trying them in part JUST because they are forbidden. Not to say that its the only reason they do it, but it does play some part. They become curious as to WHY these things are forbidden, and are more inclined to try it when no one is looking, just to see what all of the fuss is about.

We, as humans, want things we can not have. So when we have access to those things, we take advantage of it that much more. We find more fun in it when we get it. That's probably why comics use profanity so much. This one thing that someone came up with ages ago, is so taboo, we find it more interesting when it IS used, and that probably makes the jokes sound funnier.

Keep in mind that what was said hee is purely my opinion (which everyone is entitled to) and in no way reflects the opinion of the comics being referred to, or anyone who may be reading this.
2014-07-02 06:44:56 UTC
This one of the reasons I never got into stand-up comedians after 1980...most have a potty mouth that would manke a sailor blushhh and if you took those words out..would the routine still be as funny?After a couple of well placed vulgarities for shock value, they get mundane and annoying. I no longer enjoy comedy venues because of this, and this alone. I'll laugh 'til the cows come home if the humor is good, but the shock value vulgarity is absolutely pointless and unnecessary.
thetdw
2006-10-23 09:59:23 UTC
During my 50 years of life i'veheard most all of the comedians listed in previous answers.No,I don't see profanity as needed to be funny.It all depends on the audience.If there are ,or could be minors in the crowd it should be avoided.We also have the option of using the "off" switch or the "chip" to help us as parents to curtail what our children see and hear.I would never let mine listen to a Red Fox tape or for that matter Bill Cosby's "For Adults Only" album.Even though he doesn't cuss a lot on it,the subject matter is "for adults only".As the years have progressed,it seems that this behavior has become more acceptable in all circles.Again, it all comes down to personal choices.Allow in your home what you will.We have no control over what they hear from their peers in public or even in school!
Pretty_Bad_Logic
2006-10-22 20:41:22 UTC
Funny men do not necessaily need vulgarity to be successful. That being said comedy is about testing the boundaries and that does include language, taste, beliefs and pretty much anything else you can think of. The funniest comedy routines I have ever heard were by comedians who were given boundaries and forced to test them

eg. Lenny Bruce asking a female member of the audience if they ever blanked a blank after Bruce was told he would be arrested if he used the term rooster-lollipop.

Also Sam Kinnison appearing on SNL and told he was not alowed to use anymore drug humour or he would be banned "Women are like safes...they are hard to crack." - WINK WINK.
chrstnwrtr
2006-10-22 17:51:29 UTC
I can name a few but they are all Christian comedians. One is Chondra Pierce and she is really, really funny :)

I agree; no one needs profanity to have a good act. Take a look at some of the oldies but goodies: Three Stooges, Abbott and Costello, Laurel and Hardy, Marx Bros., etc. These guys are way funnier than the crap on Comedy Central.
Mr. Boof
2006-10-22 14:29:51 UTC
For some it's their bread and butter. I don't think that it is necessary - sadly enough, it's become more the norm now. And I am also sorry to say that I heard Bill Cosby say ****** (the whole word - no pun intended!) on an HBO special a couple of years ago. I was crushed. Offhand, I can not name one "clean" comic, and it's a shame.
toiletbowl.martini
2006-10-21 23:07:24 UTC
I don't feel like reading all the other answers, and I'm sure these guys have already been mentioned, but here they are any way: Bil Engvall and Jeff Foxworthy. These guys are the first ones to come to my mind. If I were a comedian (and believe me when I say It's one of my secret passions) I would try not to swear so often, but in some instances it is strange to try to keep it in. The main reason, I think, that they use profanity, is that's how they talk naturally.
Kimmie S
2006-10-21 19:39:32 UTC
Personally I don't think they do.

Look at comedians like Lucille Ball, George Burns and a few others who never swore but used facial expressions and just witt to humor people. I am 42 yrs old and still love the comedy of years ago. I really dislike all the swearing done now a days and do not find it funny at all!
2006-10-21 07:46:06 UTC
No, they do not have to use curse words, what makes something so funny is the expressions and most of all when they can touch on something that you can recall, it is the most funniest thing in the world. I think Bill Cosby did an album in the 70's about "dont climb on the chair you'll break your neck" something to that effect. and all parents said that. and someone else maybe eddie murphy "the hamburger on white bread with the green peppers" very funny when something hits home. great question. George Carlin too is, was great
nik
2006-10-24 07:31:44 UTC
No, they don't need profanity. There are plenty of funny things that happen in regular life. Profanity is a crutch for those who aren't creative enough to come up with somehthing clean.
jo6769
2006-10-22 16:41:42 UTC
Jim Gaffigan is the most successful clean comic in the country, not to mention one of the most successful...period. He's great.

However, you asked if the extra word really makes a difference. It does. A punchline of something like "what is that?!" has NO comparison to something like "what the **** is that?!" because the 2nd has a more dramatic, overemphasized, overdone response. It's not the word that's so funny, it's the delivery, the situation, a number of different factors.

But yeah, like I said you will love Jim Gaffigan. Buy his latest CD or DVD "Beyond the Pale" as soon as possible.
dlowe_italy
2006-10-21 11:42:22 UTC
Many of us have been taught not to blurt out profanities in front of large groups of people. Comedians can often get a laugh from being willing to cross the lines of social conventions...their mere willingness to unabashedly do so will be viewed as funny by many. You'll also note that many comedy club comedians will say things that would not be viewed as PC....again crossing the lines of what is viewed as socially appropriate and getting by with it. The comedy club culture seems to promote and encourage this.

Some of these same comedians can do their acts in other settings without the profanity (e.g., on Letterman or Leno) and be equally funny. So, one does not have to use profanity to be funny. Many of the classic comedians like Jack Benny, Bob Hope, Bob Newhart and even later classic acts on Saturday Night Live found a way to be funny without profanity (Steve Martin, Belushi, Ackryod.

These are not necessarily household names, but check out http://www.cleancomedians.com/ and watch the videos of a number of comedians who are profanity free.
2006-10-21 10:03:52 UTC
nope and they can still talk about sensitive topics with a sense of dignity and class....

i can't recall the names they were ametures.. but there were two who talked about some sensitive topics like homosexuality, marriage of gays.. men's incontience... breast cancer.. making babies. having children... government, bad schools.. terrorism and made it funny, truthful and without the violent temperment and language.

it wasn't insulting either.. it was made so in a sympathetic way like "oh i know that's just the way it goes.. and yes i suffer this way also... and it is that bad and how horrible but wow this was funny and i'm not offended.. i'm glad i came he / she made my evening fun and i don't feel so doomed now because of their twisted look on things like this"

i like how they poked fun at reality without pissing people off.

it takes a great comedian to do that...

that is rare... so many just jump around in a short attention span theater sort of way then just attack the topic at hand and don't think about if they're going to assault anything from religion to diapers.. that maybe they should address it in a manner that makes it a sympathetic "laugh at it" instead of a "oh well that's funny ha ha... yer stupid and this!"

so on.

even gross comedy can be good... if done right.

insulting is too easy but the very same texture can be smoothed out with the right formula.

when a comedian can do this.. then they're a great... the rest are just ... "for the shock value"

i love it when i can leave the show going... "god i know what they mean why couldn't i put it in that perspective like they did?"
answersBeta2.1
2006-10-25 20:12:19 UTC
This probably sounds harsh, but the problem isn't with the language, it's with you. These are just words, and sometimes, they're the only words that fit. Why? Because a lot of those words have really nice percussive sounds and they have connotations that just can't quite be matched with "fiddlesticks" & "schucks." Part of it is just because that's how those comedians talk, and most of them know how nonthreatening those words really are. After all, they're job is using words, and not a single comedian has tossed out an "extra" word that caused someone to drop dead.

Also, Garrison Keillor? Not funny. Bill Cosby? Not funny since he cleaned up his act.
MerkabaMel
2006-10-23 11:16:46 UTC
Let me ask YOU a question. How many people laugh when they DO use profanity? They are playing to the audience, and what their audiences want to hear. I have heard some really funny comedians who haven't used profanity, but not very often.
Jeanie N
2006-10-23 01:46:52 UTC
Hello...John L., (:

Just a feeling about you John. Why do you ask that question?

Are you thinking about becoming a Comedian? If so I hope I get to see you on the TV preforming with no profanity at all in anyway, shape, or form. Wouldn't that be wonderful and so special?

My gosh, that would be so refreshing. I keep waiting for that !!

John, you can be completely different, you be the leader and not the follower for a nice change. It's pretty sad and the profanity gets worse by the hour for all of the little children to keep on hearing every day, and think it's okay, and it isn't okay. Our world is a mess and you can help to clean it up with doing your part by acting as a great example for all to see and hear.I wish you well John. Have a nice day. Love yourself and Love God.

Sincerely ... J (:
Teresa
2006-10-21 15:38:01 UTC
Well, Groucho Marx once said if you can't tell a joke without involving sex, you're not a good comedian. Personally, I agree. You don't need to include profanity, but people like George Carlin and Lewis Black do quite often. I enjoy comedy, nonetheless. And by the way, if you can manage to ignore the occasional swearing and whatnot, I would suggest you watch a ventriloquist named Jeff Dunham. There aren't a lot of ventriloquists anymore, but he really is good at what he does.
Rea
2006-10-21 12:25:58 UTC
I know what you mean.....it's ok to have comedy for everyone's taste, but why do they have to throw it up in our faces! It's like everyone is into the vulgarity that is on HBO or the comedy channel. I have listened and find most of it extremely distasteful. I have better time to spend than listen to the garbage. There are some very good comedians out there and I really enjoy them. They bring good laughs in to a otherwise stressful world!
Frank
2006-10-22 08:47:08 UTC
Many comedians became funny to people when profanity first was allowed in public. Many carried it to the extreme and were applauded because of their audacity....years ago the word "damn" was taboo and it grew from there with the Broadway play..."Damned Yankees"...each taking it a step further...Some were simply profane, but others like Buddy Hackette did his profanity with a certain finesse and both women and men enjoyed his jokes. Others like Eddie Murphy used vulgarity crudely, but perhaps it is a sign of the times???
Charlie Kicksass
2006-10-21 18:42:25 UTC
Bluey has the answer I would have given. Many others are dead-on.

I would name some I have heard, but I can't be sure that I heard a representative act. Howie Mandel, John Stewart and Lewis Black may swear a blue streak in a club. I don't know.

I might be right to suggest that Ellen Degeneres is a clean comic.
wacoastalgirl
2006-10-22 23:11:06 UTC
Yes they can. I find that many of the jokes I laugh at and remember are jokes without profanity but about stupid things people say or situations that are funny and or uncomfortable. Many commericials are funny without using profanity. Comedy central Jeff Foxworthy and his redneck buddies are very funny without profanity. Shows in the pass like Carol Burnette Show and Flip Wilson and Red Skelton were funny then and even now. All of these are clean act comics.
2006-10-20 18:49:50 UTC
No. If you cannot speak without expletives coming out every other word, what are you truly saying about yourself.

It's like some elderly people say, "Would you kiss your mother with a mouth like that?!"

I don't think so.....
greylady
2006-10-21 03:41:39 UTC
I find the four letter words take away from the funny stuff. I can't stand it and I turn it off.Bill Cosby and Garrison Keillor are the only ones I can thing of.
Dimples
2006-10-22 11:05:24 UTC
No they don't, if you would watch shows like Last Comic Standing, they run a clean slate and no profanity is used. I mean, it's okay to use profanity when you're performing an uncensored show but nonetheless it can be done with or without profanity. Profanity are just words because no one set the boundary of what's wrong to say. God didn't tell us that we couldn't say this or that, so what does it matter.
Tom O
2006-10-22 07:58:44 UTC
god is a successful comic who has a clean act. lol.

but seriously, our society uses profanity all the time, why wouldn't it's comedians do the same? the lowest form of humor just ensures everyone will laugh...even the dumbest person in the audience who might not get a joke that's more intellectual and complex or not about things that even kids giggle about, which are usually vulgar things such as poo, farting, sex, and making fun of other people ie. racial jokes, gender jokes.

so basically, it's not why do comedians joke like this, but rather why does everyone listen?
2006-10-22 07:18:31 UTC
It is a cheap laugh. In nightclubs, where comedians are born, a lot of the customers are drunk, therefore the profanity, and bathroom jokes, which appeal to the inebriated.

Richard Pryor was very blue, but could be funny without it.

Jackie Gleason was once asked about Pryor and remarked that it was a shame that he had to be blue.

Pryor heard it, considered it a challenge, and wrote the film "The Toy," very funny, and no profanity, and invited Gleason to be in it, which he was. Proved his point. Pryor was also in a "Superman" film, clean.
raintigar
2006-10-21 23:44:14 UTC
Profanity is not necessary to be funny, however it can quickly uplift a comedian with little talent. I can think of several TV shows that are very funny without the use of profanity. Frazier comes to mind first. Then of course Whose Line It Anyway. Extremely funny. I don't watch HBO or Comedy Central, maybe that's a good thing.
MamaBear
2006-10-21 20:39:14 UTC
No, I don't believe so at all!

The general understanding of "profanity" includes words used to indicate unclean substances (such as manure), abusive actions (f* *k for a sexual reference), or condemnation (d**n). While the first can be considered "humorous" by displacement, the latter 2 (abuse and condemnation) are never funny. It is one of the tragedy of our "modern" times that abusive words are so commonly used, that they are considered "normal" adjectives and adverbs!

The greatest comedians of this past century did not use profanity in their acts.
WATCHMAN
2006-10-21 19:48:08 UTC
No they don't. I have a friend named Willy Asbury who is one of the funniest comedians I have ever seen.

He has preformed on some of the toughest stages in the country. The Apollo for one and never used any four letter words.

There are a few that haven't. As humans we react strangely to taboos. Profanity Is the easy way out. Many of them really don't need it. They are afraid to let it go.
JistheRealDeal
2006-10-23 09:12:59 UTC
Absolutely not. There are many popular comedians who don't use profanity.
2006-10-22 19:55:43 UTC
Using profanity depends on several things...the locale, the situation, and what is being told. Some things are funnier with a cuss word or two thrown in. However, to swear just for the sake of being able to do so is not funny. It is juvenile.
2006-10-21 09:17:39 UTC
First, some people feel they're not "with it" in society if they don't use four letter words. They feel that's what the majority want and, to them, the majority rule. It's been awhile since I've seen him, but the last time I did the black comedian George Washington was good.
TheFlowerLady
2006-10-20 22:04:13 UTC
It's the same as using gratuitous sex in movies and books. If your act, movie or book has to rely on excessive profanity, violence and/or sex, then your act, movie, or book doesn't have anything going for it in the first place. I disagree with most people that Martin Scorsese is some great director. I have yet to see a film of his that does not rely on both unjustified violence and sex. Granted there are times when you must show them to prove a point--but every single movie? Can't you think of anything else? It's the same with comedians--if it's not funny, profanity and vulgarity isn't going to make it so. Don't get me wrong, I loved Sam Kinison who used both effectively but his jokes were so funny in the first place that the vulgarity was just icing. I mean, he DID make jokes that didn't use profanity and they were just as screamingly funny.

Another case in point is the Seinfeld sitcom-I don't know if you are familiar with it or not, but it was definitely one of the best, if not THE best comedic writing that has ever been broadcast, tied with (in my opinion) with I Love Lucy for best physical comedy--and neither of those had overt profanity, violence, or graphic sex. Yes, Seinfeld had it's sex references and slightly naughty scenes, but nothing that was so graphic 13+ couldn't watch it. Of course this is all my opinion. Also in my opinion, NBC has not been able to truly rebound with successful programming since the loss of Seinfeld. I have not found another sitcom, excepting Everybody Loves Raymond, since Seinfeld, that I even think is worth my time watching. And I've given them a good try.

So, like I've said, if your story, act, book--whatever--isn't that good to begin with, profanity, sex, violence will not make it good.
miss advice
2006-10-22 13:01:52 UTC
if you are spending all of your time counting the cuss words, then the jokes are not that engaging and therefore, no, it isn't funny.

but comedians like jeff foxworthy (and associates), george carlan, mitch hedgeburg (recently deceased- and such a shame, he was freakin' hilarious), and many others who i can't recall by name at the moment... can be funny with or without the swearing because they don't overdo it- it's just for emphasis (and sometimes the emphasis is what pushes you over the edge of gut-busting laughter.
2006-10-21 10:41:55 UTC
I agree with you. It seems to be what a lot of people want to hear. Especially the young. I walked in on my kids the other day watching just that. I don't really care what anyone wants to watch. I know I don't have to. It's just hard to find a comedy without 4 letter words.
Aisha C
2006-10-23 04:20:14 UTC
There's a lot out there; you just need to look for them.

I consider George Carlin 'clean' even though he did swear occasionally. He even campaigned for the usage of the F-Word (of all the words in the English language beginning with the letter F, it is the only one to be called "The F-Word") and made good points about it's versatility.

I don't think a comedian has to "not swear" to be "clean", they just have to be above racist, sexist or otherwise hateful subjects.

So, you can be funny with and without swearing. If you can't handle a few naughty words, get out of the english language, because they are part of it too.
liz c the soul never dies, Dr.
2006-10-22 09:50:22 UTC
jon, i wish that profanity was not used by comedians. i love comedians, who dosen't. i have heard plenty of them use no profanity and they were hysterical. the problem with the profanity is that when you have kids, the world has so many mixed messages about what's ok, and what isn't. why is ok for a grownup, and not ok for a 10 yr. old, that's what our kids are seeing as they grow up, lets create a world we can all live in comfortably. hey jon, iv'e god a joke for you, what's the difference between god and a doctor? God dosen't think he's a doctor.
touchedchuckk
2006-10-21 20:32:35 UTC
On one of his birthday interviews, Larry King asked Bob Hope if he was bothered by the language used by modern comics. Bob said, "You haven't heard some of the jokes I've told in the locker room."

People have used that kind of language in humor since before Shakespeare and Chaucer. You just didn't hear it on TV for a while there.
Lawn Jockey
2006-10-20 12:59:31 UTC
Well, you named a couple. Bob Newhart is another. He's so squeaky-clean, it's ironic he's such close friends with Don Rickles.

But yeah, it should tell you something if I have to go old-school like that.

I think every comedian wants to use it for the shock value, but it becomes less shocking the more we hear it. And frankly, dick jokes and women-in-the-bathroom humor just isn't very original. We've heard that already; be clever and give us something else.
2006-10-20 11:29:58 UTC
Taking comedy writing classes at the Second City and going to countless Chicago improv shows, I've noticed that the funnier people are the ones that have an actual thought process and have real talent. When people inject swearing into their routines arbitrarily, it makes them appear desperate and unfunny. But take a comedian who uses profanity in a matter-of-fact way. They're equally as funny because they aren't trying to be funny with the cursing, it's just their way of speaking. There's a difference between having a naturally foul mouth and trying to evoke a laugh by using a dirty word. I've seen it both ways. So... do they "need" to use it? The answer is no, it's not necessary, but sometimes sh*t (and f*ck and mf) just happens! LOL
2006-10-23 06:09:03 UTC
No, It Seems To Be More Appealing Though.For Example, Bill Cosby Doesn't Cuss.
thebushman
2006-10-22 16:09:13 UTC
There seem to be none left today, but Red Skelton, Buddy Hackett, and hundreds of others prior to the rise of cable tv did not need to resort to profanity and their humor was much funnier. I could care less if they swear, except it makes it a little difficult to watch comedy with your grown children and wife.
2006-10-20 15:40:05 UTC
Take British comedian Benny Hill - he was absolutely funny when pushing the envelope without profanity.

Take Redd Foxx, Eddie Murphy and Richard Pryor - they used profanity during the 70s and 80s to express how they felt during the race riots and the discrimination each man suffered.

George Carlin and Lenny Bruce were the forerunners for shock comedians like Sam Kinison and Howard Stern. Stern went to satellite radio such that he could use profanity without paying a fine to the FCC. I prefer the "old school" comedians like Foxx to folks like Jeff Foxworthy and Larry the Cable Guy - yeech....
Miss Riss
2015-03-19 06:24:07 UTC
Sam Levenson was a comedian of sorts; a "humorist". I could listen to him for hours on end with my sides splitting and I never heard one off color or racist word or phrase. Who needs profanity?
NANCY K
2006-10-22 17:26:59 UTC
Profanity seems to be relatively new to the entertainment world. To me, it just means that they do not have material that is funny enough to stand alone. They 'embellish' it with filth and then the people who are watching it are afraid that other people will not think they are 'cool' or 'with it' if they don't laugh at these wanna be comedians. Shame.
duncegirl
2006-10-21 11:10:46 UTC
I'm sure there are comedians that have clean acts but I can't think of any offhand. We don't watch a lot of comedy partly because of this. We used to watch comedy on BBC America and My husband liked "Are You Being Served?" "One Foot in the Grave" etc but the comedy on BBC America these days is very vulgar and that is why we don't enjoy it.
Starscape
2006-10-21 10:34:58 UTC
I Love Conan O'Brien! I always know I will get a laugh from him even when I had the worst of days! I realize he is restricted by sensoring on his show, but even if he weren't, I don't believe he would use profanity. I just love his type of humor, plus he just seems like a great guy.
OU812
2006-10-20 18:33:18 UTC
I'm right there with you. After a couple of well placed vulgarities for shock value, they get mundane and annoying. I no longer enjoy comedy venues because of this, and this alone. I'll laugh 'til the cows come home if the humor is good, but the shock value vulgarity is absolutely pointless and unnecessary.
mooo83
2006-10-22 14:01:29 UTC
Well, common people tend to swear, and most comedians I see are trying to relate to the general population, so they feel the need to swear. And I've seen Cosby's standup and he was no exception to the rule.
2006-10-23 07:46:28 UTC
Not the good ones. I used to hate how Richard Pryor could say the F word 50 times a minute. It's rather annoying. Sometimes though, the word does fit in with a good joke, but not very often.
?
2006-10-22 09:29:31 UTC
Lots of people here have named examples.

Using profanity in comedy is not required, but I would not support the kind of censorship that would prohibit the ordinary profanity you usually encounter. I might not enjoy something that is too raunchy, but if it's not promoting violence or pedophilia, then I'd rather not see it censored.
SueAnn
2006-10-21 20:21:35 UTC
Not at all but I believe they do it to get attention. And to perhaps get their point across. Its actually hard to think of a "clean comedian." All I can think of is Eddie Murphy and that of course is the worst of the worst.. Because of that fact--I don't find many comedians funny.
Monica R
2006-10-20 16:02:41 UTC
No, comedians don't need profanity to be funny, they just have dirty minds. You will meet a lot of people out in the world like that. This is a VERY crooked nation. God is coming back soon though. Don't worry about that.
seth s
2006-10-21 21:33:22 UTC
i think most people talk like that anyway,i mean when you stub your toe do you say ****! or phooey! i swear a lot so personally i relate to swearing comedians,i think seinfelds a bit of a poof,bob hope are you kidding me,lol back then ricky and lucy didnt even sleep in the same bed,so whatever if it offends you watch veggie tales,the blue comedy is fine with me and apparently enough other people to support the business
Baby'sMom
2006-10-21 15:41:57 UTC
Bill Engvall on the blue collar comedy tour, or by himself. He's about as clean as they get these days! Even Foxworthy uses some profanity, though he's not as bad as he used to be, either. Suggest you avoid Ron White tho!
Mommytothreein20months
2006-10-20 20:09:11 UTC
No, they don't I find it can be quite offensive and you don't need it to be funny. I think it just started to snowball. and got out of control. A really funny person can take the every day things and get people cracking up! without all the cussing. I cannot name anyone who has clean material. sorry. Blue collar comedy??
caroline j
2006-10-20 17:03:16 UTC
No. Red Skelton,The Three Stooges, Abbott and

Costello, Francis the Talking Mule and many others were

very funny with no profanity.
Chris
2016-09-15 11:10:13 UTC
No-check out Bryan Regan or Jim Gaffigan, not to mention Seinfeld and Leno. I tried out a few comedy specials on HBO, and that is all it was: non-stop filth just to shock you enough to laugh I guess. It is easier to come up with something for shock value evidently than to create a truly amusing joke.
love this site!
2006-10-27 09:05:47 UTC
I think its ridiculous! I went to an open mic comedy club about a month ago........I was on the verge of walking out. Granted, they were novices, but still, almost ever single one had some joke about banging a woman so hard and doing her that way or that way! I agree that a clean act would be refreshing
2006-10-23 04:26:30 UTC
making pepole laugh is good , but filth is filth. Profanity doesn`t only defile the hearers but it also makes it sound cool that a comedian is jesting with bad words , so they can do a better job by getting rid of bad words
2006-10-23 03:06:43 UTC
I think the sign of a good comedian is that he or she is really funny and doesn't need to use profanities. Profanities are a substitute for comic talent

madmom
2006-10-22 11:38:37 UTC
in some jokes and acts it's does seem to put a more funny emphasis on the joke. but i agree that most comedians are over using the poor language. i don't think it's very funny to here f'n this and f'n that.

bob zany
astronomychica
2006-10-20 14:49:43 UTC
no, I recently heard a comedian (okay, it was at a school sponsered event) but she had no cuss words, she didn't use profanity, she made us laugh. Basically it was her life story, but she made us laugh.

I don't think profanity is funny, nor do I think it should be thrown around like a baseball.

Clean humor attracts crowds of familial audiences, and to get a kid to see that it doesn't take bad language to be funny, is a good thing to learn.
amulek1978
2006-10-23 00:46:40 UTC
Although my favorite comedian is by far Carlos Mencia, I think you would like Sinbad. To the person who recomended John Bytheway, and Michael Birkland, and David Nibley. Sorry sister they suck worse than a Las Vegas whore on New Year's Eve.
cwriter2003
2006-10-22 00:34:09 UTC
You're so right - it's for the shock value. I seem to remember when George Carlin and Richard Pryor became well known everyone was shocked at their use of profanity. I think they started the use of profanity in present day comedy. It was successful for them so........I personally think it's because the current comedians aren't as great as writers as they think (or believe)so they have to fill in with shock words.
2006-10-20 15:21:39 UTC
Absolutely not. For decades, even centuries, profanity was considered a cheap laugh, a cheat. There are much better ways to make people laugh. Profanity is not specifically 'funny', it's more of a shock that requires laughter almost as a defense.

How is that funny?
Patches6
2006-10-23 09:56:42 UTC
No they do not need profanity in their act. It attracts a certain mental type who likes dirt and stupidity.
di12381
2006-10-22 14:19:02 UTC
I think a word here or there to emphasize the joke is fine. But to have it every sentence, I'm no prude, but I think there is a way to be funny without the f word every other minute.
♥tessa♥
2006-10-22 11:57:46 UTC
I totally agree. I love a good comedian that can be funny without out unwanted bad language.
Cori
2006-10-22 05:31:06 UTC
There's a Christian comedian named Jonathan Slocumb. He is VERY funny and he never uses profanity. I've see a few Christian comedians. They were all funny without using profane language. I agree that too many comedians cuss. It takes away from the act.
2006-10-21 06:16:38 UTC
No...........

I used to see Sinbad in the 90's and he was pretty clean and funny too. After a while, when comedians use so much profanity it isn't funny. Now, I rarely watch any of them because of it.
FL Girl
2006-10-21 01:17:52 UTC
No they don't need it, and it is disgusting. They won't get my business. Many comics in the past had clean routines. Bob Hope did for one. Bob Newhart today has a clean routine. Swearing denotes a lack of intelligence, and filthy language does, too.
Rat
2006-10-20 12:23:23 UTC
No, they don't. A truly great comedian can move beyond shock value and use more expressive words to get his point across. I don't think that the occasional use of profanity -- like wtf?! when something really insane happens -- is bad, but other than that, I agree that the words are overused. They *are* words, but no word is just a word, because we use them to convey specific meanings. They're not inherently bad words, and I don't believe that any word is, but frequent use of profanity suggests that the user cannot express themself in another way, and it makes them look very base.
needsumthin2002
2006-10-21 19:52:09 UTC
Any more, yes. It's easier to cuss than to come up with really funny stuff. Saying "F***" will get you big bucks on HBO and that's all that matters 'cuz you'll pack the house.
Green Arrow
2006-10-21 19:36:55 UTC
Bob Newheart was asked why he kept his act so clean. He said that it's harder to do funny clean than not.

In other words, the comedians that use a lot of foul language are just lazy.
Giggly Giraffe
2006-10-21 08:30:48 UTC
Comedians are woven into our fabric of society.

I think YOU like the profanity; or at least like to complain about it. Fact is that cartoons are designed to be funny. These are for all ages like: Fantasia (clean)- Little Mermaid - Cars - & South Park (profane) Most cartoons have little to few profane words. Since causing is your pet peeve, well, I would guess that each time you hear it , you can't turn away from it and stew over it === ruining your day. Even the late night comedians like Jay Lenno, David Letterman, Jon Steward, & Steve Colbert limit their profounities.

Find ways to avoid, or accept and you'll be a happier person.
shortfrog
2006-10-21 03:32:17 UTC
How right you are! They do not need the profanity.....Red Skelton never used it....neither did the 3 Stooges...Laurel & Hardy....Abbot & Costello...or Lucille Ball.

These were very funny comedians. When will we stop teaching our young children how to use profanity?
bernice l
2006-10-20 22:10:13 UTC
Bob Newhart
Joseph
2006-10-20 19:10:52 UTC
It can actually become the opposite of what you are saying. They start throwing in a f*ck here and an as*hole there, and before you know it they become like Buddy Hackett who when my parents once saw him was not even making jokes but just cussing at people all the time.
blake
2014-03-28 11:42:38 UTC
Sinbad is a great clean cut comedian. Ive not heard him curse once!
Morgan
2006-10-22 12:06:34 UTC
Well, for one thing, Bill Cosby isn't funny. He's just creepy.

Swear words are sentence enhancers. They don't necessarily /need/ to swear, but it helps make a point.

If you, for whatever reason, dislike swearing, no one is forcing you to watch a comedian that swears.
Chuck'n Da Deuce
2006-10-21 17:23:19 UTC
I've hear bill cosby curse in a joke before, and its true a lot of comedians curse, cause its what their audience likes, Simbad didn't curse, you see where his career went
Kgirl
2006-10-21 01:33:49 UTC
Nowadays profanity sells..its unfortunate but it tells you were society's head is at if you know what I mean. You don't need profanity to be funny and those comics you mentioned proves it..I love Bob Hope myself..
bloodsanctum
2006-10-21 20:41:00 UTC
Insecurity is often shown through profanity. Most comedians are insecure about themselves though, so this isn't much of an argument or debate.
2006-10-21 03:18:25 UTC
No they don't need it as the comedians you mentioned have shown but it can make a story funnier. Eddie Murphy is a very good comedian although his routine is full of profanities.
2006-10-21 18:53:10 UTC
you've obviously never seen bill cosby on stage. as for garrison keillor, he is far from funny. check your history, adult humor has never been "clean". look and shakespear, if you understand the language you will understand that the bards humor is ribald.

you must be one of these old women with blue hair.

EDIT: ok i just read the rest of your questions and i guess yes you ARE a blue haired old witch. and a racist on top of it. you need to get a clue but i doubt you ever will.
TheOnlyBeldin
2006-10-21 16:11:14 UTC
Not necessarily, but it depends on how the profanity is used. Certain jokes just don't have the same effect without it.
2006-10-20 20:15:40 UTC
No, it's not needed. I've never heard profanity in any of Minnie Pearl's jokes and she was funny. She was a regular on the Grand Ole Opry and one of my favorites.
karen wonderful
2006-10-20 12:40:37 UTC
The winner of Last Comic Standing had a pretty clean act.
peacejump
2006-10-21 12:28:35 UTC
Yes I don't think it is necessary for comedians to use the language.When someone overuses these words its like you can't see the joke anymore.Kind of like when you put too much dressing on salad you don't taste the salad.
?
2006-10-20 20:56:12 UTC
They lack any good material or any good delivery skills, so, they cuss and piss, etc.. I've seen and heard enough over the decades to think most "professional" comedians are just a bad joke. God Bless you.
Heron By The Sea
2006-10-20 17:31:25 UTC
I agree with you 100%. My favorite is Jerry Seinfeld, but even he occasionally uses the "GD" word, which I really hate.

If the comedians want shock value, they should try NOT using profanity, because these days, that would be shocking! So many do it that one would stand out for not doing it.
steelababi
2006-10-21 12:10:08 UTC
no, profanity is not necessarily needed but they are merely thinking outloud, what most people think with there reading voice. Sinbad uses no profanity... however when was the last time he's even done something?
busybody12
2006-10-20 20:47:50 UTC
Gallagher is funny, Carrot Top is funny, Rita Rudner is funny, Jeff Foxworthy, Larry the Cable guy, Bill Engval are funny, together or separately. You see many of the "cleaner" acts on Leno.
Bradly S
2006-10-20 05:43:15 UTC
Jef Foxworthy, Bill Engvall and Larry the Cable Guy all tend to avoid the foul language, and use is very sparingly if at all.

George Wallace is the same way... I think I heard his swear once in all the times I've seen him.

There was a comedian I saw years ago that went by the name of Tree that went for an hour without any vulgarities.

Theya re out there; however, most of them go for the lowest common denominator.
Mike J
2006-10-23 05:48:50 UTC
Some of the best comedians used allusions as opposed to actual blatent swearing.
Lov'n IT!
2006-10-22 19:51:28 UTC
Not at all. I hate hearing profanity so I can enjoy someone's comedy act more if I don't have to cringe every time they curse.
R. J. Ben
2006-10-21 15:23:58 UTC
Sure, Comedians do need profanity to make people laugh, people want to hear what they usually dont tell ..... so when someone else does it for them , they get their kick and laugh hahahahah
blkgator
2006-10-21 08:42:35 UTC
What comedians really need is some rotten guts of decadent society, and religious institutions always provide good material.
Sirius Black
2006-10-20 12:16:30 UTC
Comedians who are not getting a big enough response from the audience with smart jokes, must raise the bar by being obscene, it's really just a tactic to get a larger and longer response time. Although, it has become more acceptable and expected in this century, (for comedians to be a bit more vulgar). Take into account that now a days, instead of embarrassing silences after someone tells a nasty joke or farts-burps on purpose, people are laughing, whether or not they think it's funny. That is just how it is.
2006-10-21 05:33:58 UTC
99% of so called comedians would not raise a laugh without profanity..the art of laughter is disinegrating at an alarming rate.

the last great comedian i think was tommy cooper,he could crack you up without saying a word.
ModelFlyerChick
2006-10-20 10:46:37 UTC
No, profanity is not necessary at all. Cleveland Hippo mentioned some great comedians. Going further back in time you have Lucille Ball, Abbott & Costello, Laurel & Hardy, Buster Keaton, and Charlie Chaplin, just to name a few.
canary854
2006-10-22 20:46:27 UTC
Comedy is in the sense of humor within the beholder.
2006-10-22 23:41:26 UTC
Yes they do. It shocks people so they laugh. It's not that it's funny but a taboo. Some thing the comedian said that is usually censored. And the comedian got away with swearing. F U C K This **** of censoring us here on Yahoo Answers! HAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!
Paco
2006-10-22 10:19:50 UTC
Of course, all the funniest jokes I have ever heard include at least 1 word of profanity or bad language
Bitterly Sweet
2006-10-22 06:20:16 UTC
In a day of age where teenagers are giving oral like it's kissing, you're worried about profanity.

this is just like when Bush was worried about the homosexuals getting married while there was a war going on and the countless other problems that effected our society (i.e. the less than honorable school system, the horrible state of economy)

And yes, there is an adult world and a child's world, if you don't like it, we now can have our TVs set to what ratings we can watch. If you don't like adult language, then set your TV to rated pg 13.
Miss LaStrange
2006-10-23 04:46:55 UTC
Being a Teenager, I find it sometimes find it annoying when they use the four letter word in their jokes. In ireland, i've never heard a joke without the "four letter" word being used, which is terrible.

I cannot name one comic or comedian in the 21st century that hasn't used swear words or the F word in their jokes...
2006-10-21 23:48:36 UTC
Most people swear so it's just a way for the comedian to connect with the audience. The only trick is to not overdo it (or do it at all in your case) so they don't alienate them.
GuZZiZZit
2006-10-21 21:05:02 UTC
There are commidians that do "clean" acts and for some people thats fine. To be honest, i find acts where the comidian swears to be much more natural. I find Carlos mencia to be hilariuos, but i doubt he'd be worth watching without rough language and controversy. If ya don't like it, just go back to the closet where you live and cover your ears and go LA LA LA LA LA. No one is forcing you to listen.
sophieb
2006-10-21 15:25:05 UTC
people who attend the commedy shows expect adult humor which, sad to say, includes adult verbiage. However more and more the adult words come out and are allowed on everyplace but eBay. eBay thinks most words are profanity. (private joke)
2006-10-23 07:22:27 UTC
Unfortunately, thats how most people talk, not just those comedians.
colombiahotstuff
2006-10-23 10:05:08 UTC
no they dont have to use profanity they can be naturaL i like this funny great comedian well known in usa his name is MIKE BIRBIGLIA i see him in mike kimball show and enjoy so much i got all his comedy cd thanks
2006-10-23 01:05:15 UTC
Yes, they do need it in this day and age. Its too bad, but you have to be an insult comic in order to survive. Thats why only Don Rickles still remains relevant in todays comedic world, because he insults others. The mood of the hip hop world of insulting others has spilled over to mainstream comedy so that unless you are "hard" and a badass, you are seen as irrelevant.
thmsnbrgll
2006-10-22 19:37:41 UTC
No they do not have to use that type of language. It is an insult to our culture and to us. And we sit and laugh like ninnys when they use it. It's not funny and it is in bad taste. When I come across it on tv I just turn it off.
gwhiz1052
2006-10-22 06:04:20 UTC
No! the two greatest comics on earth are

Denis Leary

Chris Rock
peter w
2006-10-21 13:12:01 UTC
a person wrote a book about not swearing and comedy but if im on stage and you think im gonna loose the swearing for women and children your crazy matter of fact i called my rep cause i think its a sack of krap that a validictorian thats been pissing outside like the rest of us and the cops saw them and now there a sex offender when you gotta go you gotta cause you can always piss on my bushes it aint like im on the town square monument with a lassow holding the statue helecoptering the jeeta come on animals show there buts and do it in front of us and now your offended i can go to an elementery school and hear more foul things git real people nakedness aint no bad thing clothes are stupid and limit my freedom i see more vulgar things on a news channel if you cant stand some swearing and you think every thing should be steril maybee you will be alot happier with a cattail woven mat a razor chopsticks your robe and a big sack of rice thats it and ps i dont like no zillion beeps on tv cause after 12:00am i dont want to see hear no fake noises and limiting what people look like naturaly if people are offended by language there is more things to worry about in this world like world peace
Sam X9
2006-10-21 05:33:51 UTC
They should not. It may offend others and create a misunderstanding between the comedian and the audience.
slmanl
2006-10-23 01:02:08 UTC
i seriously believe that wht is really funny need not be profane. profanity will die a natural death, while real comedy of the likes of Dilbert or Simpsons, or Sienfeld or Jay Leno will go down in history.
Megan
2006-10-22 13:21:45 UTC
In my personal opinion I don't think they do. There are plenty of things to joke about it does not have to include profanity.
lcsotter
2006-10-21 08:43:54 UTC
I love Sinbad the comedian BECAUSE he doesn't use profanity to be funny.

"Profanity is a way for a feeble mind to express itself forcibly".*#%+!
Beto
2006-10-20 17:06:09 UTC
Lisa Lampanelli. Very clean.
2006-10-23 09:41:21 UTC
i find most comedians are funny but no they can clean it up alittle.....look at most of the abc nbc and cbs sitcoms they survive with out any
2006-10-21 00:55:41 UTC
Only those who can't reach the audiences expectations with clean jokes resort to that method.
Daphne
2006-10-21 18:32:04 UTC
My favorite is Jerry Seinfeld. He never uses profanity.
Yee Haw
2006-10-21 09:42:18 UTC
brian regan- he's one of the funniest comics i've heard. he won comic of the year like 2 or 3 years ago and he's hillarious. he doesn't use one curse word in his entire bit. check him out.
2006-10-21 08:58:37 UTC
"A true comedian can improvise on the spot and doesn't need profanity or cue cards. "

Red Skelton
Josie
2006-10-21 00:33:24 UTC
there is a comic show on the TV station called TBN its a christian channel and they have a comic show called bananas and there is no four letter words on it
╣♥╠
2006-10-22 18:45:49 UTC
I dont think Dat Phan curses.

Eliot Chang too.

Jeff Foxworthy hardly curses........

There are funny comedians who dont feel the need to curse to make their act funnier.

but they are hard to fine

doesnt that suck?
2006-10-22 14:15:21 UTC
Red Skelton never used profanity and he was funny!
Skeeter
2006-10-21 16:42:10 UTC
Hecklers in the crowd make the whole act solid.
CINTHIA C
2006-10-21 05:56:46 UTC
well if you look to see just how funny bill Cosby and then look at the other people, i guess that answers the question..those people feel that kind of language is funny and the people that they entertain thinks it funny...
Darlene A
2006-10-20 12:41:46 UTC
I once heard from an old comedian (Sid Ceasar) that when a comedian has to drop his pants to be funny then he just needs to hang them up and forget it, by the way I agree with you
?
2006-10-22 11:38:07 UTC
No they just think they are funny when they use profanity, they do it because they have nothing better to say.
sargejbs
2006-10-20 17:53:59 UTC
Sinbad and Steve Harvey.
rhymingron
2006-10-23 04:02:44 UTC
No they don't. It really doesn't take a comedian to tell a dirty joke. There was no one funnier in his day than Bob Hope.
2006-10-22 19:40:08 UTC
Only the bad ones, do.

What does the L stand for?
lightningviper
2006-10-21 14:48:50 UTC
The more talented ones don't. Everyone else just uses it as a cruch
don
2006-10-21 11:07:19 UTC
Only the not so funny need to talk filth to get a laugh.Ain't it a shame?
cobo6
2006-10-20 22:28:12 UTC
Comedians don't need profanity all the time, but sometimes it adds to the affect.
jkv1111
2006-10-20 15:02:20 UTC
No.

Successful "clean" act...

Ellen Degeneres.

Hilarious!
Sam
2006-10-20 12:02:52 UTC
Profanity is NOT required in any ethical society, comedy or no comedy. Ingenuity of comedy, requires it to be brilliant and effective, WITHOUT profanity. Modern competitive living, has already made it extremely difficult, for responsible elders AND PARENTS to groom increasingly defiant youngsters (particularly children). These children, are our world's future. Thus, any ethical and responsible society, can ill-afford profanity in the "garb" of comedy. Certainly, we do not want some profane people (no specific individual intended, by this writer), lacking necessary and sufficient ingenuity, to earn money, at the expense of our present-day children and, resultantly, at the expense of the future of our world. It is urged, that the spirit of the concept expressed, herein, be taken in the right perspective, for creation of healthy societies and also for creation of a good, secure and non-violent future world.

DISCLAIMER :-

THE CONCEPT IS NOT AIMED AT ANY INDIVIDUAL, LIVING OR DEAD, AND SHOULD NOT BE MISCONSTRUED, AS SUCH. THIS WRITER, IS FURTHER, NOT AWARE OF SPECIFIC INDIVIDUALS REFERRED TO (DIRECTLY / INDIRECTLY), IN THIS QUESTION, AND IS, THEREFORE, NOT ALLUDING TO THEM, OR TO ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL (LIVING OR DEAD).
Huevos Rancheros
2006-10-21 08:40:39 UTC
No they don't need profanity to be funny. I would prefer not to hear it in movies either.
olampyone
2006-10-20 17:57:44 UTC
what about the dirtiest clean comedian I've ever seen. GALIGHER and SLEDG o MATIC no one mentioned him, with one of the funniest routines I've ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Out of all the shows of his I've seen I heard only one " explitive " and even that was funny!
2006-10-21 12:47:06 UTC
bill bailey , the brilliantly funny british comic, buy his dvd "part troll" it wont dissapoint : ) ok it contains ONE comparitively mild swear word
Arcie
2006-10-20 15:50:32 UTC
not.....need not because if you are really a good comedian you can find more ways to make people laugh by not using gross words.
lennie
2006-10-20 12:08:34 UTC
There are no good comedians left, that I wish to listen to, I refuse to listen to 4 letter words and filth about sex, I don't find it funny. Give me Red Skeleton.Sid Caesar.Milton Beryl. and many more from days gone by. (I'm dating myself) I loved Richard Pryer in the movies and he showed that you didn't need vulgarity to be funny. I think Eddie Murphy was good in movies and he didn't need vulgarity. So Why on stage do they do it.
2016-08-23 13:07:01 UTC
That's a tricky question.
tinaluvsglass
2006-10-21 14:36:35 UTC
i would say that it just depends on what kind of audience the comedian wants to attract,you know what i'm sayin'?
Lonnie P
2006-10-20 11:41:35 UTC
No, comedians don't need profanity to be funny. The two men you mention above are the best in the business and the others aren't worthy of carrying their mics, let alone sharing the stage.
2006-10-21 05:49:51 UTC
Yes god F££k++g damit comedians have to be the most politicaly incoorect and abusive people around to be funny
2006-10-23 10:06:34 UTC
no they dont need all the profanity to be successful.
rokdude52
2006-10-22 20:45:44 UTC
To me USING PROFANITY shows lack of creativity.
Jill W
2006-10-20 17:51:43 UTC
No, they don't need it -- they are just too lazy to come up with truly funny stuff, so they go for the "taboo" laugh.
mei-lin
2006-10-20 13:09:46 UTC
no - Jeff Foxworthy and Bill Engvall are very funny and the whole family can go to their shows. Love them!
White
2006-10-22 07:45:00 UTC
Yes and No, Life and body functions are funny and not so funny
2006-10-20 20:02:49 UTC
Because profanity is funny. Watch some Andrew Dice Clay, George Carlin, and Sam Kinnison.
Kacky
2006-10-23 06:46:37 UTC
I think some of them do need it because the audience wants the shock value.
2006-10-22 15:14:36 UTC
Sometimes, the 'extra' words enhance the performance!

I gues you could think of it in terms of being 'viagra' for the ears!
Pretty G
2006-10-22 07:37:48 UTC
NO,because they can still be funny without profanity.
ollie91rocks
2006-10-21 11:55:37 UTC
I hate it when comidans use profanity. It's really stupid and annoying
njc0903
2006-10-21 11:52:31 UTC
Yes, it doesn't hurt to just talk or tell a joke to make you laugh.
Bluey
2006-10-20 10:45:53 UTC
Can they be funny without the profanity? Yes.

Will they avoid the profanity? Most won't.

Why? Because people LIKE the shock value. It's what makes them think it's funny. It's what sells for the most part.

I personally think that as long as it's not TOO vulgar, it's okay.
Cabana C
2006-10-20 12:13:46 UTC
No. Using profanity only shows their lack of creativity. That and that they never learned to use a bigger vocabulary. They might also just be loud mouthed, potty mouths.
2006-10-20 19:29:44 UTC
yes check out bananas, funny as hell

lol they dont swear, neither does that one redneck guy, with the mustache
city
2006-10-22 17:03:20 UTC
i think the red neck guys are funny and they dont curse
2006-10-20 16:31:08 UTC
No, they don't need profanity to be funny... But I will tell you what they REALLY don't need... BOUNDRIES. Usually those comedians are performing for an adult audience, not children.
Erikawithasmile
2006-10-20 11:44:17 UTC
no way, i love a comedian who talks just about funny personal experiences or something stupid that happened to them or someone else.
atripplem
2006-10-22 18:45:22 UTC
Absolutely NOT!
Rob L
2006-10-21 20:10:37 UTC
that's what the people like if nobody liked the wont say ed
Manny
2006-10-21 09:07:56 UTC
it is part of the act, not the portray, so there are certain invention to insult and aroma, to have a good laugh and some mood to it.
2006-10-20 14:32:33 UTC
Nope, my top 3 swear, chris rock travis simmons and russell peters. check them out on this site.
SOMEGUY
2006-10-23 09:29:56 UTC
Yes they do, becuase it is funny
.
2006-10-22 18:10:17 UTC
yes

it makes it 10x funnier
Quita
2006-10-21 09:02:34 UTC
I think they do because if theres no cursing then theres no laughing!! That's just how I feel but other people might have their reasons.
pinkpicklebox
2006-10-20 15:25:21 UTC
tim hawkins hes wicked funny.
TJD
2006-10-20 14:50:28 UTC
No...but what would life be without profanity? We might have to actually think a little bit.
2006-10-23 11:52:32 UTC
yes
2006-10-20 15:08:12 UTC
No they don't need profanity to be funny
phllipe b
2006-10-20 15:28:46 UTC
if it makes me laugh and being an adult, i see no offence,, the greats mentioned in the letters before ( Hope, Newhart, and the like are great) i'm tryin to remember if Steven Wright used profanity,, if it makes me laugh, its funny to me :):):):)
2006-10-20 04:22:40 UTC
Lots of comics have clean acts: Jerry Seinfeld, Woody Allen, and Bob Newhart all avoid the four-letter words, and find that they are able to amuse without shock value. Their humor does not have to resort to shock value for laughs.

Bob Hope was of this ilk. He also did not resort to profanity, yet he was one of the most well-respected comedians of his time.

The ability of a comedian to amuse his audience should ultimately depend on his cleverness in observing human nature, and relating this observation, this truth, in a funny way.

Those who must swear will always limit their audience, and ultimately work their way out of the mainstream. Very few can make it on the basis of their comedy alone.
tay_jen1
2006-10-23 02:24:38 UTC
not neccesarily however a well placed profanity can be funny.
moxie
2006-10-20 18:03:36 UTC
Not at all. I know ministers that are funny as heck!
macdoodle
2006-10-20 15:11:39 UTC
same as with others who curse a lot .

they dont have a lot of other words to use.
Liligirl
2006-10-20 12:41:32 UTC
You need to go see the comedians perform in person. If you don't like what you see, leave.

You are asking another person for recommendations on what is, essentially, a personal moral issue. What I consider blue may be mild to you and vice versa.

And, cable is cable for a reason. Stick with commercial tv if you want profanity free humor, even if that doesn't guarantee that it will be clean humor.
FuturePirate
2006-10-23 07:40:19 UTC
No, I don't think they do.
2006-10-22 19:44:48 UTC
of course not, but some jokes do
dogydoorman@sbcglobal.net
2006-10-20 12:03:54 UTC
jay Leno steinfeld letterman conan
The Big D
2006-10-20 11:12:52 UTC
I feel that this is a very interesting question. First we must define profanity : if you define profanity as simpley saying th "F" word sometimes then they don't NEED to but it can help enhance the humor if used right. But if profanity is like what Dave Cappell (apologies for the bad spelling) uses, aka every other word is a curse, then no.
shuincorp1918
2006-10-24 10:06:17 UTC
drew barry
Burning Stagnation
2006-10-20 14:34:12 UTC
no they do not need to use 'profanity', but one reason they do use it is to embellish the joke.
musicaangelica
2006-10-20 09:35:06 UTC
Comedy can be clean!!!! Absolutely. It doesn't have to be vulgar to be funny. In fact, it becomes decidedly NOT funny when they start swearing. Some of my favorite comics are totally, squeaky clean and I find them totally hilarious!!!

John Bytheway

Michael Birkland

David Nibley
carole
2006-10-22 07:05:06 UTC
I,too. am so so very very tired of how this world is headed for the toilet.
K A
2006-10-22 04:06:46 UTC
yes
Mike Honcho
2006-10-20 20:53:48 UTC
demetri martin is pretty clean. so is nick swardson
Smoke
2006-10-23 07:33:47 UTC
No of course not.
May I help You?
2006-10-22 17:05:48 UTC
To you, yes,

...........because they got your attention...and you haven't let go of it and now are writing on the internet about your attitude!
Marenight
2006-10-21 08:37:47 UTC
No they don't and I wish more of them would realize it.
one hot mamma
2006-10-20 18:26:59 UTC
what a great question! i agree with you. my favorite is jeff foxworthy.
Rob P
2006-10-20 20:37:06 UTC
dice,carlin,leary,schimmel. carrot top can swear up a storm.Red in the face.
jam_please
2006-10-20 12:15:50 UTC
No. It's really lame. I wish they could be a little more creative.
2006-10-23 08:20:34 UTC
Use what people have in common, sex.
cookie g
2006-10-23 00:49:32 UTC
NO....EVER HEARD OF WIL SMITH...HE IS A GREAT ACTOR/SINGER AND COMEDIAN
Cooldude98
2006-10-22 11:13:26 UTC
no why would somebody ask tht question
nisha
2006-10-23 01:22:10 UTC
not necessary-example charle- chaplin his life was not happy
welch1198
2006-10-20 19:49:32 UTC
Nope its really sad...
Ralley
2006-10-20 12:26:51 UTC
Well, it's a reality. The majority of people use "4 letter words" on a regular basis. It's real life. Some words may be vulgar and innappropriate in your opinion--but most of us say them on a daily basis. So, hearing them in a comedy act makes it more real.
Willow
2006-10-20 11:30:48 UTC
No not at all...look at Jerry Seinfeld.
2006-10-22 17:16:11 UTC
if they're that bad then yes.
?
2006-10-21 09:48:38 UTC
its very possible just thier style thats all
2006-10-22 21:06:45 UTC
No
SKG R
2006-10-21 11:24:27 UTC
They can't blow cold all the time.

They blow HOT & COLD.
fatsausage
2006-10-21 10:41:28 UTC
No - they do not need it.
anthony m
2006-10-22 10:40:30 UTC
no because they are dum
Celebrity girl
2006-10-22 07:15:23 UTC
No,it's all about wit.
2006-10-22 17:24:39 UTC
no
2006-10-20 12:48:31 UTC
No
Crazy Rob
2006-10-23 01:09:53 UTC
not really
?
2006-10-21 23:30:42 UTC
no they dont they are stupid
Evelyn
2006-10-20 14:55:07 UTC
YES!! its hilarious! y do u care anyway?? (not in a mean way, just wondering)
viajero_intergalactico
2006-10-20 11:05:06 UTC
of course not...but its what people want. its what sells.

there are a lot of clean acts out there. the fact that you cant find any is, in my opinion, because YOU are more attracted to the profane comics. Yes, even though you seem to knock it, deep inside you are more attracted to it.
eugene65ca
2006-10-20 01:36:47 UTC
No
xinnybuxlrie
2006-10-21 16:18:14 UTC
Uuuuuuhhh . . .

no.
2006-10-21 03:33:39 UTC
no
EMO cupcake
2006-10-20 20:25:26 UTC
Ex

My butt hurts real bad

MY A.S.S HURTS LIKE HELL!

Which is funnier?
vanamont7
2006-10-20 11:33:53 UTC
If they're playing to low lifes, they do.
♥Rayyhol♥
2006-10-20 11:13:28 UTC
no
2006-10-19 22:35:18 UTC
no
axel
2006-10-23 01:45:46 UTC
no!
2006-10-20 18:23:53 UTC
$h!t, NO!
2006-10-20 10:21:00 UTC
Sometimes it adds comidic spice to the joke, like putting salt on french fries.
Gema.
2006-10-19 22:58:41 UTC
Oh my...your virgin ears...

It's honestly just a word...I don't see what the big deal is...

Comedians are some of the greatest politicans alive...Because apart from being funny, they really send a message through...They make you go..."Hahahahhaha! Hmm...that's kinda true..."...and if profanity is gonna get their point through...then go ahead...