Question:
Does it matter what strings i put on my guitar?
Anthony
2012-02-14 13:59:28 UTC
Ok so i need to change my strings i have a epiphone special 2 (best guitar by the way) and dont know what strimgs to use for it??? Or does it not matter???
Five answers:
Norm Jones
2012-02-14 15:17:19 UTC
Hello there,

There is a difference in strings. The difference is more in the size (gauge) than in the brand. The thinner the strings, the easier they are to play, the easier they are to bend and the easier they are on your fingers. Thicker strings have better tone and sustain. That is the trade off: playability vs tone. For a beginner I think a set of 9-42s is a good choice. They are thin and easy to play.

As for the brand, I am not as concerned about the brand as the size of my strings. Most of my guitars have D'Addario strings. But I have some with Fender, GHS, SIT, Ernie Ball, and Famous 351s. Any of those brands are all right.

As you get more experienced and your fingers get stronger and tougher, you can move up to a set of 10s or 11s. For now, go with the 9-42s.

Later,
M O
2012-02-14 22:08:21 UTC
The last time an Epiphone could even be mentioned in the conversation of "best guitar" was in the 60's and 70's, and even then it largely only got its rep by what the Beatles pulled out of it.

Your Chinese made budget special 2 is a piece of junk, and if thats what you are comparing electric guitars by, you should probably go to the local guitar store, and take a few off the rack in the $700 and up range.
2012-02-14 22:43:33 UTC
So hey.....if the Epiphone is what you like, more power to ya. It is all about preference. Don't let egos of other players bother you. It is about how you make it sing. As far as strings, it really is a matter of what you play, what style, how heavy, etc. The resources and companies that I buy from. and refer to. are musiciansfriend.com, juststrings,com, and sncstores.com. sncstores.com is my preference because they have a lot of string choices, but their descriptions are reliable when choosing a string that caters to your specific style. i would order a couple sets and try a few out. Or maybe go with a set that is designesd for versatile playing. There are too many names to mention, but Ernie Ball, Fender, and Elixir make some great strings. Good Luck
?
2012-02-14 22:05:31 UTC
Just make sure the strings that you buy or electric guitar strings for an electric, and acoustic strings for an acoustic. Even if your guitar is acoustic you can sometimes put electric stings on them. as long as it souds good.

Earnie Ball hybrid slinky is a good electric guitar string pack

E 46

a 36

d 26

g 16

b 11

e 9

those should be your sizes
Do I look Like I'm Joking
2012-02-14 22:09:28 UTC
as long as they are strings for electric you should be fine. that being said you get what you pay for, I prefer Ernie Ball Regular Slinky's, but GHS boomers are also a good economical choice. however, if you are looking for a great set of strings that will take a year to go dead I'd suggest Elixir nano-web. they last about 3-5 times longer than normal strings and have great tone. (they may run you about $20+ though). Also one thing to consider is the type of metal used. I like nickel wound, but the higher magnetic metal used the more powerful tone you can produce. hope this helps you out.