Question:
How can I find an agent to read or represent my screenplay?
yogamanic
2006-03-08 15:51:41 UTC
How can I find an agent to read or represent my screenplay?
Five answers:
zeebaneighba
2006-03-08 23:38:29 UTC
I cannot urge you strongly enough to read the websites which I've linked below. I'm sure you are a terrific person and a fine writer, but somebody new to the business trying to get their screenplay read has basically painted "TARGET" all over themselves in red paint...

Your local phone book will have local agents, SAG is for actors, I doubt reputable agents run around looking at telephone poles or laundromat boards, and I'm glad models have agents but models and screenwriters are two different things. Follow that advice and at best you'll end up unproduced; at worst paying somebody money to do something they're not qualified to do, as a result of which you're broke, your script is stolen, and your fledgling career is over. Thus the Association of Authors Representatives (first link)--read what it has to say!

Second: movies are made in L.A. Deals are made in L.A. and N.Y. Therefore, you want an agent in one of those places. Further: you want an agent who has contacts in the industry, knows how movie deals (which are as much legal as creative) are made and can make them, and is not primarily in business to take advantage of you. The Writers Guild of America represents screenwriters; the link below is a list of agents who are signatory to Writers Guild contracts, and are licensed in California.

Finally: before you do anything, register your script with the Writers Guild. Nobody in Hollywood will so much as touch an envelope where they could possibly, now or in the future, be sued for stealing the contents. (Be prepared to indemnify everybody...) Go to "register your script" on the third link for info. In fact, read the whole WGA website--if you really want to write screenplays, this is where you'll live.

Oh, and I get 10% of everything you make if you follow my advice...good luck!
?
2016-10-15 06:00:20 UTC
frequently, an agent will ask, "What else have you ever written?" One script isn't adequate. yet you in no way be responsive to. submit it to respected, intense-end contests. in case you get a first rate score (or win), an agent will come a lot extra handy. purely knock on all doorways, do what you could and save writing. If Beerfest have been given made - something is accessible!
shabb
2006-03-08 19:11:32 UTC
my stepmother has an agent from dog house productions. I don't know if they have a website but you could try. They also do books. She is a model.
Aj
2006-03-08 18:26:33 UTC
You can sign up for one at the SAG (Screen Actors Guild) place in Hollywood.
pussycatdolls_dont_cha
2006-03-08 16:14:55 UTC
Put an add in your local newspaper or put flyers up at stores, laundry mats, and any other place that lets you hang up flyers for free.