Question:
What's so special about Stradivarius violins?
L8T
2005-12-16 15:55:39 UTC
What's so special about Stradivarius violins?
36 answers:
rkdocker2002
2005-12-17 14:32:11 UTC
Stradivari was an innovator in the shape and size of the violin and cello. His instruments were different from what came before, and his superior craftsmanship makes them different from anything made since. They are, in a word, perfect, in shape as well as form and artistic merit. The varnish is exquisite, made from a lost recipe, and the wood he used to make them was of superior quality. Great violins, like fine wine, improve with age. He had an enormous output in his life, and there are quite a few still out there still being used by concert violinists and cellists. They were expensive when they were made, and have been well cared for, and thus, have retained their value, and have actually improved with age. The water the wood soaked in and any legends about body fluids in the varnish are only theories, but his craftsmanship is without a doubt.
ceeimages
2005-12-16 21:06:15 UTC
Not that long ago, I saw a show on the History Channel called "The Mini Ice Age". According to the show there was a mini ice age that happened in that time period of Stradivarius' life. The intense cold made the trees grow more dense than usual. This denser wood gave the violins he made a very rich beautiful sound. Violin makers since have not been able to replicate this exact sound. That's what makes the Stradivarius violins so special. Also, there are only a limited amount of Stradivarius violins left in the world.
2005-12-19 21:13:43 UTC
According to scientific tests before audiences, the best violins made today sound as good as the best violins (including SOME Strads) made in the past.

The public is not aware of this because violin dealers can make more money by creating a mystique around old violins.

Also, only SOME of the 600 Strads in existence sound good. Many of them sound so bad that professional violinists won't play them! Major modifications that affect the sound have been made to almost every Strad. Additionally, the arching on the top of every old violin collapses to some extent because of the pressure of the bridge. The height and width of the arch has a major effect on the sound. It is believed that no Strad sounds like it did when Stradivari made it.

Briefly, what is so special about Strad violins is that dealers, who stand to make large amounts of money from doing so, have created the false belief that old violins are better than new ones.

By the way, the man's name was Antonio Stradivari. When he worked, ca 1600, Latin had an aura of sophistication, so he latinized his name to "Stradivarius" on the labels he put inside the instruments. Today, by convention, "Stradivari" refers to the man and "Stradivarius" refers to the instruments.
jake
2005-12-18 10:54:10 UTC
Mostly.....age. The way a Stradivarius was made and the materials used are very special. Most experts will agree that a Strad.'s sound gets better with age where a low quality violin may get worse or even warp as decades go by.
Master Of Puppets
2005-12-20 12:54:43 UTC
I would have to say that Stradivarius violins are special for a couple of reasons. One, the obvious, because they cost an arm and a leg. Secondly, they are by far the oldest violins still in production, at least to my knowledge, if they are any older companies still in production, I am not aware of them. Good question.
Kempie
2005-12-18 18:11:14 UTC
The others have said it well, but have missed I think a critical point - marketing.

Think about it. Do you know any other violin brand?

I do not know how the marketing vaulted this to the top of the heap, but there it is.

More important than actual value or quality is ALWAYS perceived value and quality. Stradivariushas this for violins for sure. (Just like diamonds has it for precious stones in the West. In China it is Jade, which further demonstrates the point that it is ALL about marketing.

Marketing in this sense is about staking a claim in the minds of potential consumers. It is about associations. What does one first think about as a company when one hears a specific product?

The sad truth is that if the marketing is good then even better products can be seen as less worthy.

I do not know enough about violins to know if this is true for the S. I do know that this is true for MANY, MANY products. My assumption is therefore that the value is overstated, even though it is very good.
Griffin
2005-12-18 01:44:32 UTC
There is really no need for me to expound on the merits of the Stradivarius since notably great answers have already been given. However, I would like to suggest that you look for the the movie RED VIOLIN which chronicles the plight of a red violin from its conception to the present. Its a fascinating take on the Strad legend (including the fluid part)
milky419
2005-12-18 01:05:10 UTC
As well as (and becasue of) the unique qualities of the woods used and the incredible workmanship the Stradivarius violins have created a self perpetuating 'mythology' around themsleves. This combines with their rareity to further increase their percived value and causes people like yourself to ask questions like this. For example: a craftsman could now create an exact replica of a Faberge egg right down to the tinest detail and it would be worth a lot, however the 'real' egg would be worth immesurablly more simply becuase it was a 'Faberge'.
Mishima666
2005-12-17 19:30:07 UTC
Check out this PBS program on "The Physics of the Stradivarius Violins"

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1544179

" NPR's Alex Chadwick talks with NPR's Ira Flatow, host of Talk of the Nation Science Friday, about how the construction of the centuries-old Stradivarius violins makes them superior to modern instruments."
salgueiro
2016-12-13 10:09:13 UTC
timber, horses intestines, horse conceal glue, and a touch metal for the tremendous tuner. the further ideal the violin, the further ideal the timber. an outstanding sort of engineering is going into it also. large Violins use Ebony, Rosewood, Sitka Spruce (for the right) with tremendous, close, instantly grains, and some permanbuco for the bow. Oh, for the bow you upload a hank of Mongolian Horse hair. the reason you want Mongolian is that the fewer warm the elements, the further cilia (teeny tiny hairs) improve off of the important shaft. you need an outstanding sort of cilia for a sturdy bow. undergo in innovations that with a superb violin, you'll replace that hair everywhere from each and every 2 weeks to each and each and every 3 months. you're going to need a superb varnish to seal it with, and some magnificent wax or lemon oil to end it off, and then you've a superb device. SOunds common right? bypass see a sturdy luthier at artwork and ask lots of questions. If she or he would not scare you off, you may merely be the subsequent Stradivarious.
Dkhdeir
2005-12-19 05:42:57 UTC
Because quality has been a factor throughout the manufacturing of any product, Stradivarius is just a name that people have come to know and trust for quality.
just_in_case0625
2005-12-17 10:13:55 UTC
I had the good fortune of attending a virtuoso concert in oklahoma of all places. The violin was a strat.-320 years old. It was a wonderful experience. At this event, I over heard a music major say that it was rumored the violins were finished with "personal fluids" of a sexual nature mixed in the varnish. Thought you might get a laugh from this, I promise the overheard conversation was serious. I almost asked if he believed in the tooth fairy.
ZakkFlash
2005-12-19 12:17:30 UTC
These instruments are famous for the quality of their sound and there have been many attempts to reproduce the sound quality. Recent studies indicate that Antonio Stradivari may have used wood from an old cathedral for its construction which might be a reason for its sound quality.

It is believed that there are fewer than 700 genuine Strads left in existence, very few of which are unaccounted for.
st_bede_tn
2005-12-17 02:01:23 UTC
Other than the excellent craftmanship the wood used was from trees that had been under water for a great long time. You may find elsewhere accounts of trees found in the Great Lakes several years ago that have some truly outstanding qualities because of their water logged habitat. The Strats in question were thought to have been from wood soaked in saltwater for a very long time. This was from the information iI found in Scientific American (mag) many years ago.

Hope it helps your quest.

Dean
2005-12-17 10:17:05 UTC
Besides the exquisite quality of work and the tone that this creates, they are special because so few are around anymore. This luthier has never been surpassed and may never be, so that is one reason among many that these violins are so special.
2005-12-20 08:58:45 UTC
These violins are all hand made, even down to the strings! They all hold a certain standard of quality to the product name, kinda like a Lambourgini
leesa
2005-12-18 12:59:39 UTC
Its the way its made the type of wood. It makes the violin sound better than regular violins.
2005-12-17 21:55:30 UTC
I read that these violins take 100 years to properly cure, and since very few people live for a century, they are being made for another generation...
zopetrovic
2005-12-18 00:23:35 UTC
Finish Warnish
2005-12-16 16:54:32 UTC
The wood used to build original stradivarious violins is somehow different, the grain is tighter or something, and it makes the instrument more resonant and have a richer sound.
2005-12-18 13:30:05 UTC
It's just the way it's built. There is another violin pattern from Germany that is better for smaller hands.
mookoo
2005-12-17 11:37:05 UTC
the stradivarius is made from very old wood. thus giving it a far richer and superior sound.
lizard of id
2005-12-16 16:44:49 UTC
The paint. The application. Plus the workmanship.
MrsSzaps
2005-12-17 12:16:31 UTC
Stradivari's violins are extremely rare and fetch extraordinary prices when they come up for sale
dec_11_52
2005-12-20 13:25:43 UTC
Each one is a priceless work of art. Each individually hand crafted, and the craftmanship is a true work of art.
sevensix2x51
2005-12-16 20:05:59 UTC
the wood is more dense, because of the climate in italy at the time, and there are very few in the world.. i think only a few hundred.
2005-12-19 11:44:28 UTC
it's the fact that someone that takes the time and the effort to play an instrument and play it well that makes it attractive.
bubba77me
2005-12-17 03:52:25 UTC
they were (and very few) all hand made to absolute perfection by the gentleman it is named after...that is why they are very special and quite expensive
evolne2003
2005-12-16 19:56:41 UTC
They are or were made of drift wood, that is what gives them there own sound
msaathof
2005-12-19 18:52:48 UTC
They have an awesome marketing department.
swhitta_98
2005-12-19 22:23:55 UTC
the way they are made and the materials used.
2005-12-19 14:36:00 UTC
i have a stradivarious trumpet trust me they are really good
2005-12-19 01:47:37 UTC
i don't really know but we deffinetly look alike each other weird huh
Phat-G
2005-12-19 15:15:27 UTC
They are awesome, really old, and sound great.
2005-12-19 15:29:47 UTC
i would not now becuase other people like them but i don`t.
Ree
2005-12-17 14:59:24 UTC
each one is of its own. no two are alike